Course : Lunch/Dinner | Cuisine: American | Servings : 3 person | Cook Time : 30 minutes
Mac and Cheese with Buffalo Chicken
Riverside Foods’ has a great range of premium quality coated chicken ready to cook.
There isn’t much that goes well together like chicken and cheese. The gooeyness of melted cheese, together with the spiciness of breaded chicken and paired with hot sauce is enough to get anyone’s attention on a menu.
This recipe can be made ahead of time and stored for it’s final stages of cooking, make it an ideal menu option for pubs and restaurants that need a quick turnover.
All of our spicy chicken can be found in our Hot ‘n’ Spicy section.
- 3 Riverside Foods Chicken Fillet
450g small elbow macaroni
8 large spring onions
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
2 white onions, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
40g plain flour
400ml whole milk
450g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
320g provolone cheese, coarsely grated
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
150ml hot pepper sauce (preferably Frank’s RedHot Original)
- Cook the chicken as instructed.
- Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain; transfer to very large bowl. Mix in spring onions and oregano.
- Melt 6 tbsp butter in large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onions and garlic. Cover; sauté until onions are soft but not brown, stirring often, about 6 mins.
- Add flour; stir 2 mins. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer sauce 2 mins.
- Add all cheeses, paprika, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper. Whisk until cheeses melt and sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Mix cheese sauce into macaroni. Mound mixture in glass baking dish. DO AHEAD Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Stir hot pepper sauce and remaining 2 tbsp butter in small saucepan over medium heat until butter melts; spoon 4 tablespoons over macaroni in dish. Bake macaroni uncovered until heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve with sliced chicken, drizzling remaining butter and hot-sauce mixture separately.
Chefs Tip: Accompany with twice-baked sweet potato fries or some gooey macaroni cheese.