Course : Lunch/Dinner | Cuisine: Mexican | Servings : 2 persons | Cook Time : 60 minutes
Cheesy Turkey Courgette Enchilada
There are few things that courgettes can’t do. This cheesy turkey courgette enchiladas are a delicious way meal that can be accompanied by a fresh summer salad, or enjoyed with hot buttery garlic bread as a side.
These cheesy turkey courgette enchiladas are a faster alternative, packed with turkey mince to offer substance and flavour.
The courgette strips are a healthier alternative to tortillas, and are easy to make with a mandolin or Y peeler. Just make sure you press hard into the courgette to get a thicker slice. A handy tip is to avoid cutting the top of the courgette off.
- 2 medium courgettes
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 500g ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- Kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 150g fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 100g chopped pickled jalapeño, plus more for serving
- 400g shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Using a Y-vegetable peeler or mandolin, very thinly slice courgette into long strips.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. In a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add turkey, onion, bell pepper, cumin, paprika, and 3/4 tsp salt.
- Break up the turkey with a wooden spoon, stirring occasionally. Cook until meat is browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add enchilada sauce, beans, corn, and jalapeños. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Lightly grease a 9″-by-9″ baking dish with oil. Arrange one-quarter of reserved courgette strips on bottom of pan, slightly overlapping. Spoon one-third of turkey mixture over. Repeat 2 times, finishing with a layer of courgette. Sprinkle top with lashings of cheese.
- Place baking dish on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes when cheese is bubbling. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with more pickled jalapeños, coriander, and sour cream.